Sometimes it is obvious where a person was exposed to the asbestos that caused them to develop mesothelioma. Sometimes, it’s not so obvious. Mark Phillips did not know initially where he had been exposed to asbestos.
Like most people, Mark was not aware that some of the products he had worked with as a young man were made with asbestos. . Upon investigation, we learned that he had worked for a plumbing contractor in Los Angeles for a year installing sewer and water pipe that contained asbestos. He also worked on light construction projects in Washington State, which exposed him to asbestos-containing joint compound.
Work was not all that defined Mark Phillips, though. A few years before being diagnosed, he retired to care for his aging father and became his primary caretaker. Mark was a man who embraced family and family responsibilities, and he played an active role in the lives of his nieces and nephews as well.
Mark was only 62 years old when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, and he died before he could celebrate another birthday. But he spent those last painful months surrounded by his extended family. When Mark’s life was cut short by mesothelioma, he left many members of his extended family—both older and younger—missing his companionship as well as his many services to them. Money cannot repair the damage to Mark’s family left by his absence, but our attorneys have been proud to represent the family in an ongoing case that has already resulted in a substantial recovery against the asbestos manufacturers that caused this tragedy.