Mesothelioma is a rare cancer of the lining of the lungs, abdomen, or other bodily regions. Mesothelioma is almost always caused by exposure to asbestos fibers. Asbestos is the general name for a group of minerals characterized by tiny needle-like fibers which can easily be inhaled, eventually leading to cancer and other illnesses. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may feel overwhelmed.
Keep in mind these five pieces of advice to help you cope with this serious condition.
1. Follow your doctor’s advice and treatment plan, and consider clinical trials if your doctor suggests them. Although mesothelioma generally has a poor prognosis, researchers are working every day to increase the odds for patients.
2. Consider engaging an asbestos litigation law firm. Due to mesothelioma’s strong connection to asbestos exposure, many patients are able to successfully settle claims against the companies that allowed exposure to take place.
3. Don’t assume that your case is too old to result in a positive settlement. Mesothelioma can take fifty or more years to develop, after initial asbestos exposure. The statute of limitations runs from your date of diagnosis, not the date you were originally exposed. In many cases, mesothelioma victims are able to recover financially even after the responsible company has declared bankruptcy.
4. Don’t assume that you can’t afford a good asbestos attorney. Asbestos law firms take cases on contingency, meaning they do not get paid unless you obtain a successful settlement. Take the time to find an experienced attorney, to give your family the best possible chance of financial recovery.
5. Spend quality time with your friends and family. Don’t let the pressures of an asbestos case weigh you down, in this difficult time. Engage a reputable asbestos litigation firm, so that you can concentrate on your health and your time with your loved ones.
Mesothelioma Victims: Legal Help is Available
If you are coping with a mesothelioma diagnosis, take steps now to protect your family’s financial future. Legal compensation is available for victims of asbestos exposure. With over 45 combined years of experience serving mesothelioma victims like you, Bergman Draper Oslund is the only law firm in the Pacific Northwest devoted exclusively to asbestos cases.
In the past five years, the firm has served more mesothelioma clients than any other law firm in the Northwest. Let us take the burden of your mesothelioma claim, so that you can focus on your health and your family.
Claim My Free Case Evaluation Today